Large Print Reviews
Over 200 Books on One CD
The Full Text of 200 Books on One CD
Compiled by Richard Seltzer
Seedy Press, (Nov. 30, 2001)
B & R Samizdat Express
P. O. Box 161
West Roxbury, MA, 02132
Genre: Children's Literature
Reviewed by Rochelle Caviness - February 11, 2002
Please note: As of 12/1/2008, this CD now contains 2,279 books on 2 CDs.
Imagine having two hundred children's classics at your fingertips, all on one compact disc (CD)! Imagine no more, for it is a reality. Seedy Press has issued a CD that contains the full text of two hundred Children's books - and they are all classics. Here you will find old favorites, perennial classics, hard-to- find titles, and maybe even some books that you have never read before.
All of these books are copyright free, and this has determined what books are included on the CD. For example, this CD only includes books by American authors that where published before 1923, books by Canadian and Australian authors who died over 50 years ago, and books by European Union authors who died more than 70 years ago.
The books on the CD run the gamut from Aesop's fables to stories of Tom Swift. This Children's Books CD also includes:
This CD ships with a program by DLJ Software called READIT. This is a DOS, shareware program, that provides the text on a black screen with white type. This program will also help you navigate through the files, and books on the CD, using only keyboard functions. It allows you to scroll through the files, and once you select a book, it allows you to bookmark your place, and jump to your 'bookmark' when you begin reading again. This program also allows you to search through the text and to jump to various sections or lines. It also allows you to adjust how fast, or slow, the text is displayed as you read through the book.
- Fairy tales and fables from the likes of Hans Christian Andersen, Thomas Bulfinch, The Brothers Grimm, Charles Kingsley, James Stephens, and Andrew Lang.
- Poetry, running the gamut from Lewis Carroll's whimsical prose to Henry Wadsworth
Longfellow's The Song of Hiawatha
- Old favorites that you may not have seen for a while, including the Bobbsey Twins, Daddy-Long-Legs , and The Story of Little Black Sambo.
- Stories that have been dear to the hearts of children since their inception, such as Heidi, Black Beauty, Treasure Island, The Adventures of Pinocchio, The Story of Dr. Dolittle, Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, The Railway Children , Pollyanna, and Ernie Howard Pyle's thrilling adventure tales.
- Also included are series, such as
Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series (all seven novels are included in this CD), and Frank Baum's 14 volume-strong Wizard of Oz series, which is also included in its entirety.
- This CD also includes several non-fiction titles, such as Charles Dickens's A Child's History of England and Amy Steedman's Knights of Art: Stories of the Italian
- You'll also find the works of Louisa Mae Alcott, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Frances Hodgson Burnett, George MacDonald, Frank Stockton, Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, Gene Stratton-Porter, Booth Tarkington, and many, many more.
This is a marvelous collection that is sure to delight readers, both young and old. And best of all, after the books of course, is that this CD very cost effective. The CD sells for 29 dollars, making the cost of each book less than 15 cents!
- The text on this CD is in a plain text format, and the CD can be navigated easily, and read, by any screen reading program. This makes the CD readily accessible to the visually impaired, and to individuals with other print disabled.
A Windows Based PC and,
A Web Browser (such as Internet Explorer or Netscape) and/or
A Windows Based Word-Processing program such as Microsoft Word, or Corel's Word Perfect.
Back to top
Back to top
- American Literature, Compiled by Richard Seltzer.
This collection represents a cross-section of the best of American Literature and contains over 380 books on one CD.
- World Literature, Compiled by Richard Seltzer.
This collection contains over 470 books, from around the world, on one CD.
- British Literature, Compiled by Richard Seltzer.
Over 720 classic works of British Literature, all on one CD, ranging from Beowulf and The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle to Frankenstein and the works of H. Rider Haggard.
Questions or Comments? Send an email to:
Copyright © Large Print Reviews 2002 - All Rights Reserved