Large Print Reviews
Everything but the Internet
By Richard Seltzer
Everything but the Internet: Fiction, Articles, Plays
By Richard Seltzer
Seedy Press, (August 23, 2002)
B & R Samizdat Express
P. O. Box 161
West Roxbury, MA, 02132
Genre: Fiction, Nonfiction
Reviewed by Rochelle Caviness - January 16, 2003
This CD-Rom contains a collection of fiction, articles, poems, book reviews, and plays written by Richard Seltzer. It also includes several books translated into English by Seltzer. One of the owners of the publishing company B&R Samizdat Express and Seedy Press, Seltzer has written a number of plays and children's books. He has also written a plethora of articles and books on the Internet, including the book, Web
Business Bootcamp. A short biography on Seltzer is included in this collection.
The works contained in this collection include:
Seltzer is a prolific writer, who writes across a range of genres. His historical works are well research and very readable, his children's books are inventive and entertaining for readers of all ages, and his articles on conducting business on the Internet are invaluable. This collection contains a diverse body of material, and there is literally something for everyone to be found in the texts contained in this assemblage.
- From Entotto to the
River Baro and With the Armies of Menelik II, both written by Alexander
Bulatovich and translated into English by Seltzer. These two outstanding books, written by a Russian Officer, provide some unique insights into life in Ethiopia in the late 1890's.
- Several fascinating articles on Ethiopia and Bulatovich.
- The Name of Hero, Seltzer's historical novel based upon the life of Bulatovich. Until I read this book, I was unfamiliar with Bulatovich and his life - it was fascinating to say the least. Part priest and part swashbuckler, Bulatovich's life was varied and exciting. He explored Ethiopia and fought in Manchuria with the Russian Army. However, he also became a monk at one point - and not content to lead a quiet life, he helped to instigate an insurgency against the Russian Orthodox Church. Combined with Bulatovich's own works and the associated articles, this book rounds out a fascinating glimpse at a bygone era and a fascinating man.
- Sample chapters from The Name of Man, a work in progress that is intended to be a sequel to The Name of Hero.
- Sandcastles, a family-saga styled drama.
- The Lizard of Oz, Seltzer's illustrated and fun to read children's story. Also, included is the script for the play based on this novel.
- Several stage plays, and a full-length screen play, by Seltzer can be found in this collection, including Without a Myth and Mercy, a play based on the lives of Mercy Otis Warren and General Johnny Burgoyne.
- A variety of short stores by Seltzer are also included in this eclectic collection. They range from stories for children, such as Hundreds & Hundreds of Gerbils to adult fiction, such as The Gentle Inquisitor, a story about a Dominican priest.
- The articles in this collection are of a varied lot, coving everything from The Death of the Federalist Party to articles on book publishing.
- Also included are almost 80 book reviews and works of literary criticism that are as interesting as the works covered.
Several titles found on this CD have also been published in other collections issued by B&R Samizdat Express. There is, however, enough original material contained on this CD to make the purchase of the collection a worthwhile investment, even if you already have copies of some of these works.
Back to top
Back to top
- My Internet, By Richard Seltzer.
A CD containing books and articles that offer the author's views on Internet Business Opportunities. (Compact Disc)
- Classic American Short Stories, edited by Clarence C. Strowbridge.
Seventeen timeless short stories from some of the finest American authors, such as Kate Chopin, Edgar Allan Poe, O. Henry, Willa Cather, Henry James, Stephen Crane, and F. Scott Fitzgerald. (Large Print)
Questions or Comments? Send an email to:
Copyright © Large Print Reviews 2003 - All Rights Reserved