Large Print Reviews
The Craft & Business of Writing
from the Editors of Writer's Digest Books
The Craft & Business of Writing
Essential Tools for Writing Success
From the Editors of Writer's Digest Books
Writer's Digest Books, (2008)
Standard Print Edition
ISBN 10: 158297487X
ISBN 13: 978-1582974873
Genre: Writing & Publishing
Reviewed by Herbert White - July 28, 2008
The Craft & Business of Writing is an indispensable writer's reference book from the Editors of Writer's Digest Books. Within the pages of this spiral bound book, you'll find a plethora of articles on all aspects of writing from plotting to negotiating a publishing contract. These articles are drawn from a variety of sources, and they were written by talented and award-winning authors such as John Tibbetts, Philip Gerard, Bonny Becker, John Drury, as well as numerous by numerous agents and editors who provide unique insights into the inner workings of the publishing world.
The articles in this book are divided into five thematic sections that included fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and children's writing. There is also an introductory section that provides general information about getting started as a writer and the fundamentals of the business side of writing. Within each section, the articles are further divided into those on the craft of writing and those that deal with the business aspects of the various categories of writing.
Some of the articles you'll find in this book include:
As you can see from this short list, The Craft & Business of Writing covers a wide range of topics and no matter what types of writing you do, you'll find a wealth of information and tips within the pages of this book that will help you improve your writing skills, but also teach you the ropes in regard to the business side of writing. Suitable for both novice and seasoned writers, The Craft & Business of Writing is one of those reference books that you'll want to keep handy as you'll find yourself referring to it often.
- Rejection Slips: A Writer's Guide to What they Mean, by Will Allison (former editor of Story magazine.
- Historical Fiction: Bringing the Past to Life, by Deborah Hopkinson
- Revision: Finding the Heart of the Poem, by Amy Ratto Parks
- The Art of Self-Promotion, by Leah Maines
- The Creative Magazine Query Letter, by Art Spikol
- Travel Writing from Journal to First Draft, by L. Peat O'Neil
- Plotting the Mystery Novel, by Judith Greber
- Writing the Query that Sells, by Susanne Kirk
- Nine Habits of Published Authors, by Stephen Blake Mettee
- A Writer's Guide to Money, by Gary Provost
- and many, many more...
Back to top
- The Portable Writer's Conference, edited by Stephen Blake Mettee.
This virtual writer's conference contains more than 40 in-depth, information-packed essays that offer advice on everything from the basics of fiction and nonfiction writing to the business side of the publishing industry.
- Write is a Verb, by Bill O'Hanlon.
A motivational book that will help you discover the techniques and motivational factors that will get you, and keep you, writing.
Questions or Comments? Send an email to:
Copyright © Large Print Reviews 2010 - All Rights Reserved